Sunday, January 23, 2011

Featured Band Member: Dave Steffen

“ I was born March 4, 1951. A poor black child. You know Steve Martin…’The Jerk’?” That is how Dave Steffen started our interview. Along being a talented guitarist and song writer he has a great sense of humor.
     We almost didn’t have this talented musician. If it wasn’t for some deep soul searching at an early age, he would of given up trying to learn to play the guitar. Dave was ten years old when he started lessons.
     Looking back, Dave commented,” When I took lessons that first week, I couldn’t believe how hard it was. I could not believe even at ten years old how easy they (the bands) made it look on TV. I could not believe how hard it was to get my fingers to those notes. I got so frustrated that I took my book and threw it around for awhile. I had to make up my mind. I had to gear down and do this. I was bound and determine even at that age to do it. So I went and I practiced like hell.”
     Later that week when Dave went to his next lesson they were astounded at what they heard. The instructor was going to tell Dave’s parents that their son just didn’t have it.
     Dave went on to say, ”So I basically worked my butt off until my fingers were bleeding, to get that down. To get to that point. So I learned then that it was possible. But, the guitar was much harder than it looks. You have to tell your fingers to do things that they never had to do before.”
     Dave has put that same determination to all areas of his music. Playing guitar and singing wasn’t enough. He had to write his own songs. His first hit song was at the tender age of seventeen.
Dave has played in the past with Love Society and Sunblind Lion. Today, Dave plays with the Dave Steffen band with Craig Neuser , bass and vocalist, and Spencer Panosh on the drums. Dave also plays with the Stringbenders with Russ Reiser on guitar and vocals, Ron Kalista on drums and vocals and Craig Neuser on bass and vocals.
    When you go see Dave perform you will not only notice his skillful guitar playing and his beautiful song lyrics, you will catch a glimpse of his humor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment